Carpets cover the floors of our homes, business and schools. Children play for hours on them, infants crawl on them breathing in the fumes they exude. Proud homeowners inhale that 'new-carpet smell' and all the while we are being poisoned by the chemicals, allergens and toxins that lurk in synthetic carpets.
What can you do?
You can take action to reduce your exposure to carpet toxins.
• Do not buy a synthetic carpet or rug!
• Buy a rug or carpet, made of naturally flame retardant fibers such as wool.
• Don't glue your new carpet to the floor, attach it with staples instead.
• Vacuum with a well sealed high quality vacuum cleaner.
• Steam cleaning can kill dust mites and bacteria.
• A good doormat will stop a lot of toxins at the door.
If you follow as many of these precautions as possible, you will certainly have a cleaner and healthier home.